Monday 1 December 2008

Homesick

When I was little, I used to get the most incredibly homesick on the rare occasions that I was ever away from home. I guess it's not something 'grown-ups' tend to talk of, particularly those of us away on business, but the sensation is still there, sometimes. In the most part, it manifests as broken sleep, weird 'reality' dreams, etc. Over the years, being away from home for work, comes with the territory.

This evening, sat in another hotel room, due to the wonders of technology, I can chat with a friend, who like me is also away on business. We talk about her daft Dad and the perils of spam emails. I make coffee. I call home and chat through the details of the day, between yawns - a long day at both ends of the phone. My brother emails me about fixing Mum & Dad's computer. I watch tv. I listen to music. I eat. And I have time to breathe.....think......write.

But it's not home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here, here! As I drove the 6 hour journey home from my business week away I saw the sign for West Sussex and breathed a sigh of relief. To me this sign means home and I was so glad to be back! xx